Preparing for an Interview - Part 4
INTERVIEW QUESTIONS – WHAT DO THEY REALLY MEAN?
PART 4: Are you right for this position?
WHY SHOULD WE HIRE YOU FOR THIS POSITION?
This is where you can demonstrate your knowledge of their business, your familiarity with company structure and how you would fit in,
- This is the chance to summarise your specific accomplishments and draw their attention to things on your CV that are particularly relevant to your application.
- Ask for feedback:
- How do you think my skills would fit in here?
- Is there anything you are looking for in a candidate that I have not addressed?
WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE?
This is your opportunity to demonstrate enthusiasm for the role and show what is important to you by paying tribute to the business’ successes.
- “I’m familiar with your company’s excellent reputation and would like to be a part of your organisation."
- “I know that your firm really encourages staff to take on additional training and that’s something that’s important to me.”
- "I would like this job because it is a brilliant opportunity"
HAVE YOU GOT ANY QUESTIONS FOR US?
Stay away from questions around minutiae and if you have already covered the questions you wanted to ask – say this.
- “Well, the thing I really wanted to know about was the ongoing training, but I think we have covered that.”
- Or, “I did have some questions but we seem to have covered everything.”
- Or, if you haven’t already asked for feedback ask now –
- “Do you think my skills would fit in here?
- Is there anything you are looking for in a candidate that I haven't addressed?”
- Remember to ask about next steps and the timings for these so you know when you can expect to hear back from them.