Preparing for an Interview - Part 4
WHY SHOULD WE HIRE YOU FOR THIS POSITION? WHAT KIND OF CONTRIBUTION WOULD YOU MAKE?
Have you spent time studying our website? Are you familiar with the structure of the company, do you think you’d fit in?
- This is the chance to summarise all the good work you’ve put in so far. Remind them of specific accomplishments and draw their attention to things on your CV that are particularly relevant to your application. This is a good chance to ask for some feedback.
Do you think my skills would fit in here? Is there anything you are looking for in a candidate that I haven't addressed?
WHY DO YOU WANT TO WORK HERE?
This is not the time for jokes!! It is the time for compliments!
- “I’m familiar with your company’s excellent reputation and would like to be a part of your organisation."
- “I know that your firm really encourages staff to take on additional training and that’s something that’s important to me.”
Remember, it's "I want the job because it is a brilliant job!" - not "I want the job because it's just round the corner from my house and will do until I find something better."
LAST BUT NOT LEAST – HAVE YOU GOT ANY QUESTIONS FOR US?
Don’t ask when your holidays are, how long the lunch hour is, when you will get a payrise!
- If you have already covered the questions you wanted to ask, remind them – “Well, the thing I really wanted to know about was the ongoing training, but I think we’ve covered that.”
- Or, just say, “I did have some questions but we seem to have covered everything.”
- Or, if you haven’t already asked, do the feedback question – “Do you think my skills would fit in here? Is there anything you are looking for in a candidate that I haven't addressed?”